graphic image


How does the CSEA usually collect child support?

The CSEA normally sends a wage withholding order to the employer of the person ordered to pay support informing the employer to deduct directly from their wages. The CSEA or court may also issue wage withholding orders to a variety of other sources including Workers' Compensation, certain Social Security benefits, pensions and annuities. The CSEA or court can also direct the parent to set up an account at a financial institution (such as a bank or credit union). The party can also pay support directly to the CSEA, for a limited time. The CSEA will only accept cash and credit card payments (Visa, Discover Card or MasterCard).

When will the custodial parent receive support?

Once the court or CSEA has set and finalized a support order, it generally takes two to six weeks to implement a wage withholding. This can vary between employers and the circumstances of each case. Once the CSEA receives a support payment, it must process the support payment within 48 hours.

Why is the employer’s withholding date different from the date the child support agency’s records reflect receiving the support?

At least two days must be included for the transmittal of the withheld wages from the employer to the CSEA. Factors to consider are mailing time, non-business days such as weekends and holidays, and the fact that not every employer sends in the support the same day they withhold the support from the parent's check.

Why do the amounts of my support check vary even though the court order is the same?

The CSEA adds a 2 percent processing charge as set forth under Ohio law. The payee is to receive any current support due until the monthly amount is satisfied. Only then can the CSEA collect the processing charge. For example, let's say that the payer has an order to pay child support to the payee in the amount of $100.00 per month, plus the additional 2 percent processing charge. The CSEA will collect the support every week as the payer is paid on a weekly basis. The person ordered to pay must pay a total of $102.00 every month ($100.00 in current support plus $2 for the processing charge). If the CSEA collects this amount on a weekly basis, the order sent to the employer would direct them to withhold $23.54 every week ($102.00 x 12 months divided by 52 weeks). The payee would get the full $23.54 per week until they receive the $100 in current support. The remainder would then go to the CSEA, up to the amount of processing charge due or owed.

How long can I collect child support?

Child support usually ends when the child turns 18, unless the child is a full-time student at an accredited high school. In this case, support can continue for as long as the child retains their student status, up to the age of 19. Child support could continue beyond this time if the child is disabled and dependent or if otherwise ordered by the court (for example, the parties in a dissolution decree may agree that support is to continue if the child goes to college).

What happens if the non-residential parent pays the custodial parent directly?

Any support ordered by the CSEA or court should be paid through the CSEA or it is considered a gift.

What happens if the custodial parent marries another party?

The custodial parent’s marriage has no impact on the payer's child support obligation.

What happens if the child is adopted by another party?

The custodial parent should send proof of the adoption to the CSEA in a timely manner. While an adoption will usually terminate the current support obligation, it does not automatically wipe out any delinquent child support payments.

What happens if the person ordered to pay dies?

While the current support obligation terminates upon the death of the payer, the CSEA may collect delinquent payments from the payer's estate. The payee may also wish to explore Social Security death benefits for the child of the deceased.

Will the CSEA stop the support order if the parents remarry?

Yes. If the support was set through the Butler County Juvenile Court, the Butler County Domestic Relations Court or through the Butler County CSEA, the parties may request that the administrative hearings unit conduct a review to see if the CSEA should suspend the support order. The CSEA can terminate the order if the parties are married. If the parties are married, they should bring a copy of the marriage certificate. All parties should also bring in photo ID in both suspension and termination cases.

Can I forgive arrears that are due solely to me?

The CSEA will generally allow a party to forgive arrears owed to that party if the Butler County Juvenile Court or CSEA issued the order. If the arrears arose from a Butler County Domestic Relations case, the parties should contact the Butler County Domestic Relations Court.

Where do I call for questions regarding whether my payments have been credited to my account?

Please call the voice response unit (VRU) at 1-800-860-2555.

Whom do I call if my payments have not showed up on the voice response unit two weeks after I made a payment?

Please contact a customer service representative at (513) 887-3362. CSEA staff will work with you to research problems and contact CSPC for a resolution. Please note, if your payment does not have the appropriate information (SETS case number, order number, parties names, Social Security number) there may be a delay in the posting of payments.

What happens if I mail my payment to the CSEA instead of CSPC in Columbus, Ohio?

The CSEA will forward the payment to Columbus the next business day. This causes a delay in the payment posting process.