graphic image

Office of Ombudsman

The Ombudsman has the authority to independently and impartially review cases involved with Butler County Children Services. It is the Ombudsman's job to determine whether Children Services has followed proper policies, procedures and laws related to a case. The Ombudsman maintains a neutral, impartial perspective on each case. Based on the results of any investigation into a complaint, the Ombudsman may recommend a different action or disposition. In addition, the Ombudsman may recommend changes to agency policies and procedures to better serve the children and families of Butler County.

The services of the Ombudsman are free to the public and are designed to protect the interests of the children and families.  The Ombudsman will:
  • Listen to you
  • Investigate your complaint
  • Explain what is happening in your case
  • Help you understand confusing rules, laws, procedures and/or policies
  • Mediate conflicts whenever possible
  • Recommend alternative actions in your case
  • Recommend changes to policies and procedures

Any person may file a complaint with the Ombudsman for investigation.

What if I Disagree With the Disposition of My Case?

If you are listed as the alleged perpetrator of child abuse or neglect you have the right to a hearing to appeal the disposition made in your case. Your appeal needs to be filed within 10 days of receipt of your disposition. The appeal hearing will be conducted by the Ombudsman. The agency staff that issued the disposition against you will appear and testify as to why they believe you abused or neglected your child. You can testify as to why you do not believe you abused or neglected your child. You may be represented by an attorney and may bring witnesses with you to the hearing. Within two weeks of the hearing the Ombudsman will issue a finding either agreeing with the agency’s disposition or overturning it in your favor. The Ombudsman’s decision is final regarding the disposition but this may not effect your court case as that is separate.

Appeal hearing requests must be made in writing to the:

Office of the Ombudsman
300 North Fair Avenue
Hamilton, OH 45011

Once your request is received, the Ombudsman’s Office will contact you to set up a hearing date and time.